Leica Fucks With Your Mind, Part Two

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leica Fucks With Your Mind, Part Two

Post by le1ca on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 am

cross-posted from another forum

Welcome to Leica Fucks With Your Mind, Part Two. In Part One, we overanalyzed somebody's instant messaging status to fuck with them. Now, we will begin a somewhat-serious study into the effects of one's environment on anxiety.

Last week, I was reading some nonfiction article on a completely unrelated phenomenon (I totally forget what it was) and it mentioned something about claustrophobia induced by moving from a wide-open area into a dense forest. Though the article was speaking of claustrophobia figuratively, I figured it would be cool to actually look into whether one's environment actually factors into such anxieties.

You are useful to me if you have ever moved or been on a somewhat-long vacation (two weeks or so). The more, the better. The further, the better. If you wish to participate in my little experiment, just fill out the form at the end of my post, and post it in this thread, or a private message if you're shy. If sent in private message, your response will be kept confidential unless you give me permission to use it. Otherwise, it will only be used to determine whether my hypothesis is true, and to calculate statistics. If you post in the thread, I will assume you want me to use your story as an example, since it's already essentially been posted in public. Names or any other personally identifying information (other than location) will not be used in any way.

I suspect that those who grow up in a desert-like area, such as the author of the aforementioned article, may be intimidated by relocating to an area with dense forests and tall trees obscuring the horizon. I believe this may have the potential to lead to the development of anxiety disorders. Similarly, those who grow up in a forested area may have more of a sense of freedom. I don't really feel like elaborating any more on this right now, so let's cut to the chase.

If you want to participate in my 'study' then please give me the following information for each move or vacation that you want to share:
[align=center]- - - - - - - - - - - -[/align]
Initial location:
Time spent there:
Physical description of location:
Emotions associated with this location:

New location:
Time spent there:
Physical description of location:
Emotions associated with this location:
The first two pieces of data for each location are pretty self-explanatory. As for physical description, however, I would like for you to share information such as any mountains, forests, rivers, skyscrapers, etc. in the immediate vicinity of where you spent most of your time, i.e. your home, or if it was a vacation, hotel/cabin/campground/whatever. Essentially anything that is prominent on the horizon. For emotions, only the second location is really important. I would like for you to share what you felt upon initially entering this area. That is, feelings that developed over the first few days. Some specific emotions I'll be looking for are anxiety, irritability, stress, and fear. The polar opposites of these emotions are important as well. Please share any emotions you can recall, though, as these are really just examples. If you have been diagnosed (or even self-diagnosed) with some sort of phobia or anxiety disorder, or even depression/bipolar disorder/etc., please share that as well, provided you're comfortable.

Here's an example of what kind of data I'm looking for:

Initial location: Manchester Township, NJ, USA
Time spent there: ~12 years (birthplace)
Physical description of location: Plenty o' trees everywhere you look, but very little urbanization. Horizon usually obscured.
Emotions associated with this location: Since I lived here as a child, I'm going to pull the naïveté card and say I don't really remember. Nothing really concerns you as a child anyway.

New location: Las Cruces, NM, USA
Time spent there: 3.5 years and counting
Physical description of location: Desert errywhere, occasional river, occasional trees. The horizon is always in sight, with the exception of to the east, where it is obscured by mountains.
Emotions associated with this location: My whole family agrees that the wide-openness of this place is soothing. I don't have much to compare to (again, naïveté) but I consider myself pretty relaxed and happy here. NJ, according to my family, and what little memories I do have of my own, was pretty damn stressful, but I think that's caused more by the people than the environment.
le1ca

Power Level : 11
Level : 50 level questioner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leica Fucks With Your Mind, Part Two

Post by Pielikey on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am

When you said "Part Two" that REALLY fucked with my mind.

EDIT: I'll try to put something but I haven't been on any vacation for longer than a week.
Pielikey
Admin

Power Level : 1
Level : 1337 Administrator

View user profile http://piesplace.motion-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 pm

claustrophobia induced by moving from a wide-open area into a dense forest
OH GOD THE TREES
Sigfig

Level : 1 enemy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 pm

we humans seem to interpret the horizon symbolically on a subconscious level. we refer to things as being "on our horizon" so often that we don't even have to think about it symbolically, it just kind of happens. if the horizon is obscured it may trigger something deep within your brain.
le1ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:16 pm

i don't have any kind of reaction like that and i do not interpret the horizon symbollically
Sigfig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by le1ca on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:09 pm

yes you do
le1ca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pielikey on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 am

and the crowd goes silent
Pielikey
Admin

Level : 1337 Administrator

View user profile http://piesplace.motion-forum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:05 pm

how dare you tell me what i do and do not feel
Sigfig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesus on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:04 pm

I've lived in the desert for like 10 years now and I love the forest. I lived in dense forest from like 2-7 but I don't recall much of it. But forests are pretty much the bomb.
Jesus

Level : 32 Religious Figure

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigfig on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:48 pm

EXPLODING TREES
Sigfig

View user profile